Monday, December 16, 2013

Vizcaino -> San Ignacio -> Santa Rosalia

The wind couldn't make up its mind through this entire stretch! It was 75km to San Ignacio from Viscaino. San Ignacio is literally an oasis in the desert. The ride started off ideal. Flat roads, almost no climbing and a helping wind. The landscape didn't change for 50km. I just put myself into cruise mode and kept pedaling... everything looked the same and there was little around to keep me entertained. It's tough to remember what I was thinking about, but it definitely wasn't about the wind I'd be facing later that day. The last 25km gave me brutal headwinds. It was near torture trying to pedal through it. I stopped a handful of times with hopes the wind would pass, but eventually realized I'd have to make it to San Ignacio with the wind. Anyway, I made it. What an awesome place. Out of nowhere the desert turns lush green. Date palms everywhere with dates falling from them. The campsite I wound up in had natural dates littered everywhere on the property. Really cool. I pitched my tent right next to a river and really enjoyed hearing the water roll by all night. It was great.

In the morning I discovered that three other adventure cyclists were camping in the same campground. A solo guy, Shawn, and a French couple... I can neither pronounce or write their names. The wind didn't let up all night and was still there when we woke up. We decided to stay another night after the campground owner, Manuel, offered to let us sleep in the house on the property. No electricity, water or a bathroom, but it was amazing to be out of the wind. I went into the town this day. It was absolutely beautiful. There's a 300 year old mission right in the center of town. It was really a treat to see. Definitely the oldest structure I've ever seen. Later in the day, of course, Bobby and Alix come rolling into camp. We just keep running into each other. As we were cooking dinner, another group of 4 riders came to camp. We had 10 adventure cyclists in our spot. Super awesome! The most cyclo-tourists I've ever spent time with in one place.

The next morning, this morning, we all set off with our own agendas. The French couple and Shawn left first, then me and the group of four... Not sure if Bobby and Alix stayed or kept going. I passed everybody about halfway through the day, pushing through intense headwinds once again. They did let down, though, maybe 25-30km from the shoreline of the Sea of Cortez. The last 15km were incredible!!! One of the most incredible descents I've ever been lucky enough to enjoy and a wonderful view of the Sea just prior to it.

Another great few days of bicycle touring!



























3 comments:

  1. Interesting how the French have the French flag proudly waving while you have (or had....?) your CO flag. Looks like there might be more state pride than country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1000 meter mark!! way to go man!!!!! Looks like you're on Molokai not in the middle of a desert! Love it

    ReplyDelete