Thursday, March 28, 2013

I'll name this chapter of my life, "Hotter Than Hell"

I pulled into Mexic... I mean, Brawley, CA, about an hour and a half ago. 72 miles from Palo Verde, through 90+ degree heat and sand dunes. I was boiling and at one point thought the rubber from my tires was going to melt into the pavement. They didn't, fortunately, and after nearly 7 hours of riding I made it. This was by far the most grueling ride of the tour and also the longest. I'm tired and don't think I've ever enjoyed a warm shower more than the one I just took. The trail I'm riding, the Southern Tier trail, runs from San Diego to Florida. The portion I just finished is considered by almost everybody to be the most difficult. Feeling pretty good about myself.

I am super beat and as much as I'd love to write more, I'm going to post some pictures instead and call it a night.

































11 comments:

  1. great pictures. love the shadow, and the sunrise, and the sand dunes, and the irrigated field, and the pic of your brown face

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah, loved talking to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. since it seems I'm the only one commenting. thought I'd comment a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, well let's try this again. I keep posting and nothing shows up.

    Congratulations Calvin on that long hot ride. I've been worried about the heat in Southern California, so it is a relief knowing that you're OK and still riding. Looking forward to seeing you here in cool Northern California.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW !! is right, couldn't put it any better. Hell I've been on that road in a car and it was hot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How is your beard not dripping with sweat?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Calvin, I'm an Old friend of your mom's. Looks like you are on an Adventure of a Lifetime. Make the most of it while you have the chance. Sounds like you are just like your Mother, Full of Fun, Spunk and Adventure. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bob! So cool you commented here! Happy to know you're keeping up on Calvin's journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for checking out the blog, Bob! And yes, I definitely owe all of that to my mom! haha

    ReplyDelete