Thursday, April 18, 2013

Cadence Shmay-dence

Started off the day with a knock on the door from FedEx! My 401(k) check was delivered and I couldn't be more thrilled about it. The money is much needed and will get me on my way. I'm going to stay here in Aliso Viejo through Saturday, leaving early Sunday morning toward Las Angelas. It'll give me a little more time to get through this cold I'm dealing with and to celebrate this weekend's festivities with new friends.

I went for a ride today and stopped at a bike shop to browse around. I love looking through bike shops! I started talking with the stores owner and ended up with a free tune-up and an awesome deal on a new bike computer. The one I've been using kept track of my speed, time and distance. The new computer will do all of the above, but also keep track of my cadence. Cadence is the number of full pedal strokes a cyclist will push in one minute. Being able to see and adjust my cadence while climbing hills and while riding on flat ground will allow me to take full advantage of my bike's gearing and my bodies endurance. Pedaling really fast in low gears is heavy on the cardio and will put your lungs to the test. Pedaling slowly in high gears will use more muscle and will cause lactic burns in the quads. There is a fine line between the two and finding that balance is the key to determining your bodies optimal cadence and riding style. Next time you watch the Tour de France, you can take a whole new look at the cyclists competing. They devote their lives to studying the science of bicycles, the human body and the best ways to combine them. It's really neat stuff.

Can't wait to hit the road, but this last week has been great. I've been relaxed and comfortable, with a fridge full of food and good company. I felt guilty for taking such a long break, but then I remembered... I'm doing this for one thing... FUN! and I'm having a crap-ton of it! :)

2 comments: